It's no secret, I have a major coffee addiction. A rainy afternoon is really just an excuse to bring out the french press and add a little kahlua! If you haven't used a french press before and love coffee do yourself a favor and spend the $20 to invest in one. Also, invest in a coffee grinder, it will change your life. Since New England has decided to stay cold forever I've been using this recipe a lot these days, I'll deal with effects of drinking half & half later...
5 Tablespoons coarse ground dark roast coffee
1 tsp hazelnut coffee (optional)
Half & Half
Kahlua or rum
1. Put on the tea kettle! Or boil a pan of water.
2. Grind coffee and place 5-6 tablespoons in bottom of french press (amount depends on the size of the french press). I have a 28 oz. press and a good 6 tablespoons is usually perfect
3. Add 1 teaspoon hazelnut coffee or less or none at all! My grandmother has always added a touch of hazelnut to her coffee, usually I hate flavored coffee but for something like this it really adds a nice flavor.
4. Once water is boiling add water to french press getting every last coffee ground in the mix, stir gently and place lid back on press. DO NOT PRESS DOWN YET! Let press sit for 3-5 minutes depending on how strong you want it and how coarse the coffee is (the coarser the coffee the longer the time).
5. Once the press is done slowly press down the handle until you reach the bottom. Pour into a coffee cup leaving about 1" from the top. Add desired amount of cream, kahlua or rum, and top with a pinch of cinnamon. Enjoy!